Thursday, May 26, 2011

Edge

41.5 x 43.5 cm
Acrylic Paint, India Ink, Watercolor Paints on Board
5/24/11

This piece was inspired by the Sylvia Plath poem "Edge," combining quotations from other poems including "Tulips," "Daddy," "Two Sisters of Persephone," "Lady Lazarus," "Mushrooms," "Miss Drake Proceeds to Supper," "Cut," "Mirror," "Morning Song," "Ariel," and "The Bee Meeting." I picked out quotations based on their tone and death imagery. That death imagery of course, was not difficult to pick out within Plath's poems, as this is a main focus of hers, and after reading her biography, one can see that it is a preoccupation that plagued her for most of her life. 

Originally, this was just a graphite drawing created for the purpose of a matte gel transfer, though I ended up loving this more than the original piece. I began painting it for fun and to pass the time, but got more into it. With my love of Sylvia Plath, I wanted to incorporate her body of work into mine, and so arrived at the idea to include quotations, adding the aspect of text that can be found in most of my work, and in the script that reappears as well. Finally, feeling that the piece was unfinished, I added the other elements of color in the watercolor splashes around the face that adds a feminine look as well as a morbid one with the feeling of blood. 

This entire piece was inspired by the poem "Edge," and more specifically, the lines:

"The woman is perfected.
Her dead

Body wears the smile of accomplishment,
The illusion of a Greek Necessity"
 
 In this, I saw the femininity that I incorporate into my work, as well as Plath's morbid but beautiful imagery that I so love. The idea of the perfect, still, unmoving woman is what really grabbed me though, as well as the ideal woman in general, something I've considered several times, once through my extended essay, written on the topic of Ayn Rand's characters Dagny Taggart and Kira Argounova, as they appear as the ideal women. I love contemplating the classic, timeless, beautiful woman; this is what I aim to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment