Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Wallflower

50.5x17cm
Gel Transfer, Acrylic Paint on Wood and Cloth Canvas
12/12/10

This piece, at first glance, may seem happy; after all, there are flowers, a lovely frame, and a woman. When the idea for this sprang to my mind, however, I was angry. This was my way of putting into words the anger and frustration I felt at being, put bluntly, a wallflower. Though I felt I tried harder than everyone else, my efforts were less rewarded, and seemingly ignored for those who clearly did not try as hard as I did. To be noticed, I began to try even harder, and in the process, trying so hard to trump others, lose sight of what I actually liked and wanted to be. I did not want to be bigger and better than someone in their way, but better in my own. This is how I feel after I see them put up on a pedestal.

No comments:

Post a Comment